I am a UK based photographer, currently in Reading, Berkshire, England.
I like to photograph people, places, things though not necessarily in this order, often together. Photography is my personal journey to document and appreciate what I see and experience.
My personal work is mainly about observing aspects related to places and belonging.
I take commercial, private and editorial photographic assignments and commissions.
If you would to discuss with me a project or commission please do contact me
"Salvo is a great photographer; both friendly and professional and consistently fulfils our expectations. Salvo shows his true strength in being able to work in various environments and at a range of different events. We choose Salvo to photograph our events because his style and approach is unmatched by others."
"Salvo was such a pleasure to work with. We discussed a corporate shoot and he provided some great ideas and worked up the plan. On the day he was patient, professional and understood that we were limited on time and produced lovely pictures that have helped build our image" - Katherine Knight, Marketing Director.
"Salvo produced some wonderful photos for our Annual Report. He spent time with us, getting to know our organisation, trying out different ideas and eventually taking photos that were completely in tune with our organisation, our values and with the message we wished to convey. Not only were the photos a huge success but the whole process of working with Salvo was a pleasure." - Dr Beverley Costa, Chief Executive Officer and Clinical Director
"Salvo brings a great perspective to the photographic images he creates, always a human one and with that rare talent of seeing behind the obvious. I have seen his work and can wholeheartedly recommend him for capturing images that really communicate!"
• • •
Exhibitions and features
• Going Back to Sicily - a personal journey back to where it started - September 2008
• Passion of the volunteers - a portrait project of people involved in volunteering work in Reading - National Volunteers Week event - June 2010 - event details and press release.
• Open for Art - Installation of selected work, a project run and curated by arts charity Jelly for the promotion of the arts in Reading. May - July 2010 - 2017
• Prelude - Group exhibition of the artists members of the Whiteknight Studio Trail. Peacock Gallery, Reading, May 2010
• 40 people: 40 stories - an exploration of passion and personal drive in local communities - December 2010 (event "The 3rd Thursday". A review).
• Art Junction: by the blue wall – portrait exhibition: a tribute to the people at the Art Junction in Oxford Road in Reading, artists and creative people whose lives have been disrupted by mental health illness. Exhibition at "Reading Nuit Blanche" - October 2011.
• Iconografia Civica - An observation of the constant exposure to the predominantly commercial messages and imagery juxtaposed in a urban context, now a familiar and prevailing iconography of the contemporary city life. Peacock Gallery, Reading - March 2012
• The Collector's Edition - "A story time of lost and found. A glance into fragments of time is a chance to unpick these carefully woven collections and unravel the stories delicately captured inside". Curated work from artists Diana Ashdown, Emily Barton, Tom Crask , Kate Kessling, Jane Ponsford and Salvo Toscano. Arlington Arts Centre in Newbury, Berkshire, October to December 2013.
Feature and interview on OffSpring Photo Meet, PhotoMeet are a London based organisation that bring together people from across the photographic industry.
Collaboration with Reading on Thames Festival, a project by Reading Place of Culture.
I often work on community related projects and collaborate with local art charity Jelly and exhibit at art fairs.
"Salvo is a natural story teller - I loved his images the first time I saw them, previous to his work for jelly. He has a way of capturing an event, a portrait or a moment in time that provides a narrative much more than a simple photographic shot. The quality of his work and his use of roll film bring a true mastery of photographic work. His images for us have transformed our website, the way that we think about what are doing ad all our visual work. He listens, observes, takes the shot and it is there, captured. Beautiful work." - Suzanne Stallard, founder and director at Jelly.